Menu

parallax layer

News and Information

Featured News

Man Develops Parasitic Infection in Right Eye After Showering in Contacts, Loses Sight

July 12, 2019, 3:38 PM EDT / Source: TODAY
By Meghan Holohan

For a week Nick Humphreys’ right eye felt dry and irritated. He tried treating it with over-the-counter eye drops and muting the brightness on his devices. Still, his pain increased. He finally visited a local hospital and learned that he had a parasitic infection, Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), which he likely developed after showering while wearing his contact lenses. He lost vision in his right eye and in August he will undergo a cornea transplant to restore his sight.

“If I’d had the slightest idea that this was even a remote possibility I would never have worn contacts in the first place. It’s crucial that people out there know this is a reality and can happen because of something as simple as showering,” Humphreys, 29, of Shropshire, England shared in an article he wrote for the Shropshire Star.

Read Full Story

News and Information

top_slide_front_03

104 Plumtree Road
Suite 107
Bel Air MD 21015
(410) 569-7173